Dublin Boys’ Lacrosse Win RVAL Championship

Dublin traveled to Eagle Hill school for the third annual River Valley Athletic League tournament. The team’s  energy, excitement, and positivity did not subside the entire day. Dublin faced-off against Eagle Hill to start the day and our boys controlled the game right from the first whistle. Calvin Bates picked up a tough contested ground ball on the opening face-off, which allowed Dublin to get the first possession and first goal of the game.  Their aggressive and smart play allowed them to take a 10-0 lead going into halftime. Dublin held a big lead throughout and won 13-2. Danny Harrington and Ben Phillips lead the offense with 4 and 3 goals respectively. First year, Ben Simon, had his first multi-goal game, while Sebastian McLinden and Calvin Bates lead the team in ground balls and also cleared the ball very well.

Just 30 minutes later, Dublin played rival Putney for the RVAL Championship. Putney started the game very strongly. They played tough defense and competed very hard for ground balls. Their efforts allowed them to jump out to a 2-1 lead. The two teams exchanged goals in the second quarter and Putney went into halftime with a 3-2 lead. Despite being down, Dublin remained confident and extremely motivated to turn things around in the second half.

The final 24 minutes were a defensive battle. Despite Putney's strong defensive effort, Danny Harrington was able to find the back of the net to even the score at 3 in the third quarter. Throughout the fourth quarter, Dublin goalie, Ben Wright, made a number of fantastic saves. With just under a minute left and the score tied, Coach Adams called a timeout to get the offense set up for a final possession. After the time out, Dublin moved the ball around and then Jordan Ferreras drove to his right and took a very hard shot on the run that blew past Putney's goalie. As Dublin celebrated, the referee blew his whistle and said Dublin made an illegal pick and he disallowed the goal. Putney then made one final push to score in regulation, but Dublin's defense stopped them.

Jordan, not discouraged from having his goal taken away, won the opening face-off of overtime. The ball eventually ended up with Ben Phillips who drove up hard from behind the goal and drew two Putney defenders. With two defenseman draped all over him, he threw the ball back to Harry Flores who then darted in front of the net and scored the winning goal! That goal not only won Dublin the game, but also the RVAL Championship!

I'm so thrilled that your boys got to experience such an exciting and hard fought game that resulted in them winning a championship. I told them after the game that these joyous moments don't come by chance. They were able to play two great games in one day, come from behind, and prevent a team from scoring in the second half because of all of the efforts that they had made this season to become better individual players and teammates. They deserve this victory. I could not be happier for these young men.
-Coach John Adams