On a beautiful day, crew raced in their first spring regatta at the Bancroft Invitational today. It was a four school regatta against Bancroft School (Worcester, MA), Hopkins School (New Haven, CT) and Worcester Academy (Worcester, MA).
The Dublin Crew Team had a great day the Bancroft NEIRA races in Worcester yesterday. The coaches greatly appreciated all the parent support and the delicious foo provided! I think the highlight of yesterday for many of us was seeing some of our rowers racing for the very first time. Most of our novices had only had seven or eight practices on the water before their race yesterday.
The girls’ second varsity four had three novices supported by the strong rowing of veteran Michelle Zhong and the excellent coxing of Kate Fulshaw. Laura Coffin, Laura Hoffheimer, and Lilly Bates recovered from a difficult start and navigated the legendary Lake Quinsigamond course with poise and determination.
Nemo Chen rowed his first race in the third varsity boat and was coxed by fellow rookie Henry Luettgen. Nemo had a big smile after thrace when he proudly stated that he had not caught any crabs! The third boat, which finished third behind two fast Hopkins boats was stroked by Sean Brown and powered by Warren Umbach and Ryan Hyde.
The girls’ first boat of Tatum Wilson, Faith Lewis, Zoe Hewitt, Lilly Campbell and Phoebe Glaude, had a strong race and finished second to the Hopkins School from New Haven, CT, and ahead of Bancroft School and Worcester Academy. The boys’ second boat of Matt Coffin, Andrew Johnston, John Scriven, Chris Brodie and Phoebe Glaude won a tight race over Hopkins and Bancroft after getting out to a strong lead at the start. The boys’ varsity boat of Jared Lewis, Will Stanhope, John Scriven, George Henry Werowinski, and Joey Hynes edged out Hopkins by ¾ of a length, with Bancroft and Worcester Academy coming in behind Hopkins. Official results for our races can typically be found on Row2k.com.
We are now gearing up for our homes races and Steele Family Boathouse dedication on Saturday. We hope to have a big crowd there for the event!
- Boys 1V 4+ - 1st of 4 - 5:08 over Hopkins 5:10 ( Jared Lewis; William Stanhope; John Scriven; George Henry Werowinski; Joey Hynes cox)
- Boys 2V 4+ - 1st of 4 - 5:17 over Hopkins 5:18 ( Matt Coffin; John Sandstedt; Andrew Johnston; Chris Brodie; Phoebe Glaude cox)
- Boys 3V 4+ - 3rd of 3 - 5:49 - Hopkins 5:28 ( Nemo Haofeng Chen; Ryan Hyde; Sean Brown; Warren Umbach; Henry Luettgen cox)
- Girls 1v 4+ - 2nd of 4 - 5:59 - Hopkins W 5:37 ( Faith Lewis; Zoe Hewitt; Lilly Campbell; Tatum Wilson; Phoebe Glaude cox)
- Girls 2v 4+ - 3rd of 3 - 6:41 - Hopkins W 5:49 ( Laura Coffin; Laura Hoffheimer; Michelle Zhong; Lilly Bates; Kate Fulshaw cox)