As part of an extensive list of capital projects this year, Dublin has been rehabilitating two historic homes in the village district of Dublin along Route 101. Both houses serve as faculty housing for faculty with families.
Mason House is a recent gift to the school. Based on construction techniques, we believe that the house was built sometime between 1880 and 1910. Improvements included a new kitchen, two new bathrooms, moving and replacing walls and creating a new four season mud porch. Plumbing and electrical infrastructure was also brought up to date.
The other house, which is currently under construction, is Paul and Nancy Lehmann’s home, Village House. The home was donated to the school by the Lehmann family in 2014. The house, which was built in the 1830’s, has had a series of additions over time, including a rear ell that most recently housed the kitchen. Unfortunately, an adequate foundation wasn’t built under the ell and gravity, time and weather were conspiring to return the rear addition to a state of entropy. Most of the rear ell will be removed and a new kitchen and bathroom will be added into the original front house. Walls have been removed to open up the kitchen and living room for more modern living. A new rear porch and laundry room will be added on the back of the house. Extensive electrical work is also being performed to bring the house up to current standards.
After these rehabilitations are complete, both homes will improve the look of Dublin village and provide needed private off-campus living for faculty families. Other on-campus faculty housing is planned for in 2017 as a part of a new dormitory.